Friday, July 28, 2006

more happenings in Hanoi

hello gang

this afternoon many students and teachers went swimming. there were a ton of kids in the pool! it was great fun. On the walk back one of my students and I, went into a little photo shop that had little photo booths where we could take our photo! it was really cute to do that together.

another week has gone quickly by and time is now short!
Last week I got to dress up to be the big Thanksgiving turkey--this week we celebrated Christmas and I was chosen to be the "singer." I got to sing a solo of "Away in a Manger," reminding me of days in sunday school....Somehow everyone has found out that i know a lot of songs and I can carry a tune, so i am one of the song starters whenever we sing. Two of the guys play the guitar too so that is always nice too! My team has also learned about me and i have the nickname of "Dutch girl" sometimes. It is really funny!! at home that would not be too unusual, but here i'm on my own:)

On Thursday we had a Vietnemese culture evening. Each of the 9 classes had to perform something for the rest of the group. My class decided to sing 2 Vietnemese folk songs that i really tried hard to learn. It was okay singing with them in class and practicing a lot before hand but once on stage, I was left in the dust....high energy and nerves made the students sing so fast!! it went relly well but i couldn't do the song justice like they did! the rest of the classes did skits of songs. One highlight was the last group, they performed a traditional dance of one of the minority people groups. it involved jumping through bamboo poles on the ground to a certain beat while they opened and closed. once again, really cool and great fun!

Days here are still hot with of and on showers and wind. the students are energy-filled and always ready for something new. We have one week left together!! there will be much more happening again next week.

i'll try to write again soon but for now, thanks for reading and have a great weekend!!
I am going to a pottery village tomorrow with some of my students and family members. We are looking forward to it!

chao! love and hugs...bye!

7 comments:

Mark said...

I am jealous of the pottery village! A whole Village!! Sounds like your having a great time!

Kunnari said...

things are sounding good. have a good time with all that clay!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ginelle!
WOW! Sounds like you are having so much fun! I cannot wait to hear all your stories! Have a great last week! Talk to you soon
Love ya
Julie

Anonymous said...

Ginelly!!!
Finally dad gives me the site for your blog after I've been asking him for the past month!
SOOO good to hear about what is goin on; I've tucked all my patients in for the night and I have had the chance to sit and read ALL of your blogs up until now! So glad to hear about all the things you are up to and all the fun you are having. I'm sure you are touching many lives out there in your caring, outreaching and special way!
Can't wait to see pictures and hear more about what you've been up to!!
Love you lots!!
~ali

Anonymous said...

Ginelle,
Sounds like you are having a great time. I hope you have a wonderful last week. It's weird to think we'll be back in school in a few weeks. I want to hear all about your trip. I hope you're taking lots of pictures! See you soon.
Love,
Jena

Anonymous said...

Ginelle!! I can't wait until you come home! it'll be great when I can have you back, even though you are having an awesome time without me!
Hope to hear alot more about your trip later!
Love you to pieces!
Love karina

Rob Haan said...

Hey Ginny!
I had to clean at the theatre this morning, and all I could think about was you. I hope your time there is wonderful, and all that you see, you won't forget. I am getting really excited to see you again! Let me know what day you are going to be here that way we can get together!
Love ya!
meg