I was typing these recipes out for my dear friend Lauralee, but then I decided to share them here for anyone else who stumbles upon them. A few recipes that we've enjoyed the last while. Now that it is getting warmer the soup and lentil dish will probably be made again in the fall.
Baked lentils with cheese
taken from "More with Less Cookbook" by Doris Janzen Longacre
preheat oven-375'
In 9x13 baking dish combine:
1 &3/4c. rinsed lentils
2 c. water
1-2 bay leaves
2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
pinch of thyme/marjoram/sage(i think i just used thyme)
2 lg. onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. canned tomatoes(i used tomato paste-also good!)
cover and bake for 30 minutes
Uncover and stir in:
2 lg carrots, chopped
1-2 stalks celery, sliced
bake uncovered 40 minutes until veggies are tender
stir in:
2 T. parsley(i didn't-no big deal)
Sprinkle 3 c. shredded cheddar cheese(or however much you like) on top
bake uncovered, 5 minutes until melted.
**I throw in whatever veggies I have handy. I've only made this twice, it's kinda hot so i just made it in the winter so far:)
I wish I head a picture of this one, it is really tasty looking!
Hummus
Ok-usually I make this by eye and taste, I just never measure, but yesterday I tried to measure everything and I was way off!
Here are my rough measurements:
4 c. soaked, cooked chick peas. You can buy them canned and ready to go but it is cheaper to buy a big bag of dried chick peas, soak them in plenty of water over night and then simmer them for 15-20 minutes or until they are soft.
4-7 T. olive oil
0-5 T. lemon juice
1/2 c. water
-----liquids, I just use enough to get it to a smooth consistency, sometimes I'll use lemon juice, sometimes not but then add more oil and water, or even a bit of tahini or plain yogurt. It all depends on your taste preference! I haven't found tahini yet but it is sesame seed paste that is supposedly good in hummus and baba ghanoush(egg plant spread)
for more flavour include:
0-4 cloves minced garlic or garlic salt
2 t. salt
1-2 t. paprika
some red pepper
other herbs like parsley, dill...
Really, there's not much to it. Combine the ingredients and blend together. The more liquid you add the smoother it will be, but if you add too much liquid at first the chick peas won't puree well and it will be kinda chunky.
have fun!
Curried Carrot Soup
taken from "Simply in Season" by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert
1-2 onions chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
2 stalks celery or leek chopped (optional)
(in a large pot saute in olive oil until soft)
add to the pot:
2 lb/1 kg carrots or sweet potato chopped/cubed
6 c./ 1.5 L vegetable broth or whatever you have on hand(if you don't mind it not being vegetarian)
2 t. curry powder
bring to a boil, simmer until carrots are tender( about 20 minutes). Remove from heat, cool slightly and puree to desired texture.
Stir in 1 t. lemon juice or 1 c./ 250 ml. apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy!!

1 comment:
Thank you again! I'll let you know how they turn out when I try.
Post a Comment